Two Saturdays ago I had my first EVER weekend class. I don't even like taking Friday classes let alone a Saturday one. Nevertheless, I had to take this course (Spanish 312, Latin American Culture and Civilization) to graduate. It should be easy enough. As we went through the first chapter one of the "Major" subtopics was Machismo.
The definition as per the book is as follows: Machismo- Culto a la Concepcion del Macho (Atrevito, resuelto, confianza en si mismo, gran capacida fisica y sexual). After reading it my professor asked if we felt there was anything missing {Oh did I mention that 30 out of the 33 people in this class are Women} Si, Si Benditos entre todas las mujeres. So of course all the women had a reaction to this "definition" and they all almost in perfect unison added repression and oppression of women! I don't disagree with this because Machistas are know for just that. However, I have always thought que "la mujer hace el hombre." By this I mean that a woman must set the limits for a man's behavior or misbehavior. This is not to say that a man should be taken care of as a child would (although I know some of you ladies may disagree). Nevertheless, I was shocked when the professor (a female) said exactly that. She said that mothers are "Alcahuetas" (If you're not familiar with this term allow me to explain) An Alcahueta is someone who excuses bad behavior with out reprimanding the individual.
Needless to say I was shocked. To hear a female actually acknowledge that Machismo is perpetuated just as much by females as it is by males. Sure we often hear the men cheering their sons on and encouraging lewd behavior. But why wont the mothers correct it? Granted women who live with Machistas are often physically and mentally subdued, all in all the first few years of a boy's life pretty much revolve around his mother.
Now let me clear the air here, I'm not blaming Machismo on women, clearly its a two way street and men should be better role models. One of the excuses is ignorance. That men are not educated enough to know any better. So it's safe to say that this excuse is no longer admissible since more and more of us are being educated. But as teachers like to say "Education starts at home."
Men-Let's start respecting women.
Women- Let's start respecting women.
Respetuosamente,
Un Hombre Buscando Un Cambio

No comments:
Post a Comment